Every great leader knows that employees are the beating heart of any business, and reliable internal communications are what keeps it alive and pumping. Effective internal communication within a company helps ensure that all members of the organization are working collaboratively towards a common goal. It develops a cohesive culture, empowering employees to make the right decisions in line with the organization's goals and values. This, in turn, leads to higher productivity and can even improve customer service. If your employees' attitudes and performance reflect these values, you know you are doing something right.
In today's complex environment, it is vital that an organization's team members not only understand but live the brand promise. This is why a business must invest in its Organizational Brand Equity (OBE). OBE is the difference between the brand's market value and the book value of assets directly supporting the brand, such as employee relations and employer branding.
We identify seven reasons why internal communications is a crucial business function and is more critical than ever before.
1. Drive for Purpose: Employees identify their success with the performance of the organization they work for. They want to experience a sense of emotional connection, to feel joy and passion for their workplace. With that said, companies should develop their OBE both as part of their endeavor to attract the right talent and as a critical investment to maintain that talent.
2. Remain in Control of the Message: Organizations need to establish agile, interactive, and reliable channels to reach all employees: agile and interactive means digital—and today, digital means mobile. A combination of new processes, abilities, and technologies are needed to develop trust and transparency. This enables us to remain in control of messaging instead of leaving information susceptible to personal interpretations.
3. Empower and Support Middle Management: Plenty of messages are going out—the dilemma is that most of them might not be reaching the people who actually do the work. Strategic internal communication can make cascading much more effective. Support middle management at all times with the information available and required resources will allow them to be the best possible leaders for their teams.
4. Keep the Brand Promise to Satisfy Your Customers: Great brands are built from the inside out. So, start with your employees, and their happiness and confidence will be reflected directly onto your customers.
5. In a Crisis, Internal Communications Rule: Timely and thorough communication is key to mastering an internal or external crisis. The way that your employees and external stakeholders view an incident is a significant factor in whether or not the issue develops into a full-blown crisis. Not only can internal communications support you drive people's perceptions about a situation, but it also helps short- and long-term crisis management.
6. Create a Better Work Environment: Whether you're trying to attract talent or retain it, employees need to know their employers and its value proposition. A well-functioning internal communications program and the open work environment it creates will give your company an edge in today's highly competitive market. Ultimately, there's no better endorsement for your brand than happy employees and happy customers.
7. Limit Rumors and Enhance Transparency: Employees put a high prize on transparency in their interactions with different levels of management, going as far as describing it as one of the top factors in determining their satisfaction in the workplace. Providing both—a rumor-free environment and corporate transparency—is central for a generation of employees (and customers) who are skeptical of their core.
Effective internal communication is an ongoing and open dialogue between all those that need to know in a company. As the company grows, you need to think about implementing more discipline, but also the communications strategy and structure which connects your team. Discipline, strategy, and structure are all essential for long term business success.
As social and environmental causes become mainstream, people want to feel like they're making a difference in the world. An employee that is acquired through their attraction to your brand's reputation will prove to be motivated and invested in your company's mission and are the best allies to grow your business in a healthy and scalable way.
DuartePino is a management advisory firm that combines in-depth customer knowledge with practical expertise in marketing communications to help clients create sustainable business growth. We can provide your organization with a fresh perspective, a proven process that invests in the outcome, and the tools for successful execution. From Fractional CMOs to business advisory services, contact us to learn how our team can help with growth strategies for your organization.